Last fall a number of raised beds were built on the Algoma Community Gardens grounds before winter set in. The construction of the beds was completed last month and now they are ready to be filled.
The Algoma Community Gardeners would like to invite you to help fill the beds this Saturday, July 22, 2017, from 8 – 10 a.m. The Algoma Community Gardens are located at 1528 Sunset Ave. Algoma, behind the Kewaunee County Food Pantry.
Tasks will include:
- – Fill the remaining raised beds with cardboard and straw, (wetting down the cardboard before adding the straw).
- – Spread compost and soil. Brian Hanson will have his skid steer to help move compost and soil to the beds. Please bring a garden rake if you have one.
- – Place cardboard and wood chips in between the raised beds in sections A1, A2, B1 and B2.
- – Help weed the old Children’s Garden, as we transition it to a Butterfly Garden.
- – Clean up around the compost bins at the corners of the garden
- – Reset the compost bins and adding reinforcement screws. The 3″ screws and drill bits are in the shed. Those working on this project will need to bring a cordless drill.
For anyone willing to help, and as a thank you, please feel free to use one of the newly completed raised beds (this fall at no charge) for a fall crop of beans, peas, spinach and/or lettuces.
If you have any suggestions or ideas on improving the gardens and/or inviting new gardeners to join us, please send an email or call, Mary Goodner, Algoma Community Coordinator at 920-487-8093 or email@example.com